Saturday, August 14, 2004
Next Big Things (VC/Startup Edition - Summary)
1) Death of Branding - almost anything in this space gets acquired - why doesn't more vc capital flow here?
2) Reverse aggregators - ie reverse syndication and plays that unbundle and massively distribute aggregated information
3) Outsourcing disruptors - infrastructure to massively shift the outsourcing value equation)
4) Distributed economies of scale platforms
5) Community/social capital (local, not virtual) machines - related: democracy/political coordination machines
5) DRM and DRM defeaters - infrastructure, grey markets, tools, platforms
6) Post-search - power-law flatteners and value revelation mechanisms.
7) Alternative web currencies - ie link inflation compensators
8) Markets, everywhere, for everything.
Sorry if this is confusing - just wanted to make a note of it.
Very interesting list that Umair.
Just out of curiousity, what would be an example of an outsourcing disruptor? A.I. server farms?
Outsourcing risk mitigation + mgmt, untapped arbitrage opportunities (Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iran, parts of Africa), outsourcing risk exposure, identification + targeting of outsourced (commoditized) vital points, outsourcing 2.0 infrastructure (cultural education), to name just a few.
But the biggie will be plays that can offset the coming pressure of upwards wage pressure and social mobility.
I like AI server farms - but people are cheaper.